- 1 decent sized pumpkin with lid removed and inside cleaned
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 12? cloves garlic chopped
- handful of dried bing cherries chopped
- 1/4 cup? pomegranate molasses
- 1/4 cup? white wine
- remove to mixing bowl (leaving liquid behind)
- sauté after reducing retained liquid
- 10 maybe mushrooms (let them fully wilt)
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- remove to mixing bowl
- 1 cup black rice with 3.5 cups chicken stock 5 minutes boil and simmer to finish, then add to mixing bowl
- finally add the rest to the mixing bowl
- 1/4 cup? Asiago
- coriander, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg
- 2 apples chopped
- lemon juice
- mix everything and stuff the pumpkin
450f for 30 minutes and then 350f for another 90 minutes
I ended up with too much liquid after cooking and would reduce the amount of liquid used (or reduce the rice liquid more) for the next cook.
- sauté in olive oil
- add salt, cayenne, and butter
- 300f oven 45 minutes
These turned out amazing for being so simple.
Gutting the pumpkin (and then salvaging the seeds) was a bit of a pain in the ass. I used an ice cream scoop for gutting the pumpkin which did a fair job for most of it. I may try using a serrated knife for removing the lid next time, though I suspect my dreams of sawing around are folly.
The flavor combination of the stuffing was amazing and I wouldn’t hope to alter it one bit. Just maybe reducing the final liquidity some.